Sunday, January 15, 2012

Customer Service

Yay! I made it to the gym this morning and had a small cardio workout and a nice, relaxing steam. I even lost 3.5 pounds while there (still find that strange), but I weighed myself when I got there and then again before I left, and that's what the scale said so I'm gonna run with that.

We did breakfast at our regular stop, again with our friends from last week. This time, though, the arrangement for a 5th person to be there worked. The bosses daughter was interested in finding out information about the accounting field and it just so happens that our two friends are both accountants so they gave her some insight into the career. It was quite interesting listening to them talk about interviews and the various techniques and questions that they use. After all these years in my job, not really having done an interview since I started, it's like a new world out there. Oh, wait, I did have a couple of interviews since in the past 24 years. Once when I took layoff status at my current job, I went to work for a major telecommunications company. That was challenging in its own respect, but it paid the bills until I got recalled to my original job. The other time was when I applied for a temporary assignment in the IT department at my current job. Having no background in IT, I somehow managed to sail through the interview and ended up being one of the individuals they hired. I learned a lot there, and still carry a lot of the information with me today.

Anyway, back to this morning. Our friend who wanted to learn about the accounting field was so grateful for what my partner set up, that she bought us all breakfast. Very unexpected by extremely nice gesture. I hope she got the information she was looking for and will be successful in achieving her career goals.

Since January is known for it's white sales, we dropped by The Bay today to check out the prices on some new bath towels as the ones we currently have are starting to get a bit ragged looking. We found some incredible bath sheets, but noticed that some were marked $5.00 less than the colours we preferred. We decided to bring them all to the clerk to find out why and why we shouldn't get the ones we wanted for the same price as the lower priced one we did not (plus there was a 25% discount on top). The first clerk we went to seemed to not even want to give us the time of day. She told us that the till at this counter was not working (the one beside it was though), and that we should go to the counter in the crystal section of the store. The girl there didn't know the product we were bringing so couldn't tell us why there was a difference. She went back to the lady we just came from and am not sure what transpired, but she offered to call a manager to see if they would give the towels we wanted for the same price as the one we didn't. Turned out we were in luck. We got the $5.00 saving, and not a 25% discount, but rather a 30% one. Now that is customer service in action.

We also had the opportunity to check out the TopMan selection of clothing that is new to The Bay in Canada. We discovered TopMan on our last trip to the UK and it fast became one of our shopping stops. The prices here were higher than the GBP amount converted, but still better than the USD price. One also has to realize that the cost of having them sent to Canada will add to the price. Anyway, the selection is currently limited. The jeans offered were both the 'skinny' and the 'slim' types. I can't get my feet through the legs to fit the skinny, and the slim are fine for my calves (sort of), but are still to skinny for my thighs. They truly are meant for someone who is built like a toothpick. I will have to wait until more of a selection comes in, or just head over to the UK to get my fix on clothes shopping. So much more selection over there and we know a few other stores to shop at for great deals.

The rest of the day was mostly relaxing around home. Updating stuff in the computer (it never seems to end), and catching up on some taped shows on the PVR. Back to work in the morning, so almost time for bed. I'm glad I got to hit the gym today and that I survived. That means I can drop in during the week and see how the 'resolution crowds' are doing.

So, until tomorrow, have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment