As Saturdays go, this started off to be a normal Saturday morning. A trip to the Y for a workout. After getting over a nasty cold, it was a day to try to get back into a routine of a touch of cardio and then some weights. Well the touch of cardio went well, but the weight definitely could use some improvement. I felt that I was almost taking a step backwards, as I just couldn't reach my maximum goals that I usually strive fort. I suppose I should be content with just getting back to routine, but it's surprising how disappointed I was when I couldn't do more. Will work to improve on that tomorrow.
After the gym i met George at Joe's for our usual breakfast. Strawberry french toast was the special, so I decided I would give that a try for a change. Had an easy afternoon. George went for his massage, and I relaxed at home, catching up on updating my iTunes with some songs I had downloaded and needed to transfer and update details and album covers. Watched a couple more shows so I could remove them from the PVR. It's been filling too fast, and I have to catch up with all I've recorded.
This evening we had a 40th birthday party to attend for our friend Andy. He had booked a private room at a local boutique hotel, the Loden. I had never heard of the hotel, but it turned out to be a unique and busy place in the downtown area near Coal Harbour. Andy kept in traditional Chinese culture and took care of everything. All drinks and appetizers were part of the evening, even including champagne and cake to complete the evening. We got to meet a lot of his friends that he has accumulated over the years, including a friend he has had since he was in grade 2. His parents were also there, and his mother was charming.
One of the most surprising parts of the evening was meeting someone who mentioned he was from Saskatchewan, a place I knew well, as that was where I was born and spent the first 12 years of my life. I asked him what part of Saskatchewan he was from and he said from a small town near Prince Albert. Being from that area myself, my curiosity was piqued. I have met people from P.A. before, but usually they are from a small town near there, usually to the north and/or east. He told me he was from a small town near Canwood, and my curiosity grew even more. When he mentioned the name Debden, I couldn't believe it at first. Debden, the town I first started going to school in and still recall many memories from. His family name is Blais, a very French name, of which the community has a large population. Although he was 10 years older than me, we were still able to talk about a few things that we both remembered from so many years ago. What a small world we live in. He has even lived in the same building as I currently live in, one of the suites being the very one I cat sat in over the holidays for a friend. It's quite surprising how paths get crossed, especially when you least expect it.
The evening was also an opportunity to meet some new people who our friend Andy had worked with at one time. A couple of them were from the USA and now living in here in Vancouver. Oh, and for those interested, there are people who are NOT Republican from Texas. Wow! And they seemed like great people to know. One of them mentioned how living in Vancouver, they felt it was a very clicky city where meeting people was somewhat difficult. I can relate to that, as when I moved here, I found it to be the same. Had it not been for a friend who was living here before, I might not have been able to meet some of the people I did. No being here for 22 years, I feel almost like an original resident. Just wish I had been able to buy into the city back then, as now it is far out of reach to get anything with a reasonable space for a reasonable price. Best to save for retirement, and look elsewhere when we do.
And now that I am home for the night, I think I'll head to bed soon. I would say that tomorrow will be an early gym day, but I think that I'll save that for after Costco, rather than before. Also have to cook up a vegetable soup for dinner. We have a friend coming over who has spent the last few months living in Puerto Vallarta, and we are looking forward to hearing about it.
So, I leave you to get myself ready for bedtime. Hope you all had a great week, and until tomorrow, have a great night's sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment