Tuesday, January 24, 2012

St. Jean Baptiste Causes a Rush

This morning started off better than yesterday. Got out on time and didn't run into any train troubles along the way. Got to work with plenty of time to spare. Although the temperature had risen according to the weather network, it was damn cold out during my walk this morning. At least the rain hadn't started by the time I got to work. It did not long after, and at one point it was a nasty downpour and lots of wind, just to make sure you get soaked.

While having lunch today with my friends Rosalind and Wes, we talked a bit about my upcoming holidays. When I mentioned the dates for Montreal, Wes mentioned that we would be there during St. Jean Baptiste and that it would be party central. He asked us where we were staying, but when I mentioned we hadn't booked yet, he said we should do so quickly, as rooms will book up fast for the holiday. Another friend, Susi, confirmed this, so decided I would look for something tonight.

Work was pretty basic again today. I did see a couple of old co-workers, who chose to stay with Air Canada when the split was made and went to work at YVR. They were in the building for recurrent training and stopped by to say hi. They're working afternoons now with rotating days off as they're either on 5x3 or 4x2 shifts. They say they like it and are glad they went. I sometimes question it, especially when I remember that they were strictly Monday to Friday early start people. But then again, I have never worked at the airport, so maybe there is a different appeal that makes one want to work the later, rotating shifts.

So after work today, I stopped to pick up my new bus pass and then went home to check out hotels in Montreal. Well, Wes was definitely right. The hotels I was hoping to get a good rate at through our internal discounts were way higher than I was wanting to pay. Fortunately I did find a Holiday Inn that we've stayed at before for a reasonable price for Montreal, so when George came home, I booked it after dinner. It was still more than I would like to pay, and the cost for 2 nights there will likely be more than our 5 nights in Phuket and possibly on par with our 5 nights in Prague. We're still looking at options there. The Sheraton in Prague gives a great rate, but we would like to be closer to Wenceslas Square, as it's better for the Metro. We also have to make sure we have wi-fi available there for using our phones and computers. Phuket is a constant wavering decision. I find places that look good with a great price, but then I go read TripAdvisor, and some of those review vary. The ranking of the hotel also makes me question if it's a good choice or not. I'll probably get a hold of Mike or Brian and find out what they can suggest. Mike has already given me an idea, and I am looking at 1 of the 4 properties, but can't decide. Holiday planning can be more stressful than the actual holiday.

I work at 0730 tomorrow. Someone wanted my 0700 as they had to be off early, so I agreed to trade for the 1/2 hour later. It's not a big deal, although I still prefer the earlier. So now that its getting late, I'll get myself ready for bed. The morning comes early, even if I want to sleep in a bit, it just doesn't seem to happen. So on that note, I bid you, goodnight. Have a great sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment