Sunday, January 1, 2012

And The Year Begins

Well, 2012 came in quietly, well, that is except for the 20 minutes of yelling on balconies and banging pots, pans, railings and whatever people could find to make noise with. We managed to actually stay up until that magic hour on the west coast for a change. Usually we are in bed and only wake up with the acknowledgement that it is the New Year by all the noise. None the less, we just turned the TV on with the timer and nodded off to sleep shortly after the noise settled down.

Woke up this morning feeling no affect from the bottle of wine I drank last night. Thought there might be some sort of headache, but it didn't happen, and that made me happy. I was able to get myself going after lots of coffee, and headed down towards English Bay to meet my friend Rand for a New Years Day tea. It's still strange not seeing Gord sitting there waiting. His passing in 2010 was far too early and his presence is certainly missed. Another missing sight were my friends, Doreen & Neil. They stopped dropping in for coffee in 2010 as well. Doreen seemed to be having health issues and couldn't get in to see us for a quite some time, and Neil said he wouldn't be around for quite a while one day, and I haven't seen them since. I think they went to see their children first and then made arrangements to set themselves up in a home for the elderly. I'm not even sure if they were aware of Gord's passing as I never saw them at the memorial. Hopefully one day our paths will cross again.

We have some of the greatest neighbours who are also very good friends. This afternoon we went out for drinks and lunch with one of them. Someone who would do anything for you, and not even blink an eye. These type of people are few and far between and we cherish the friendship we have made with her.

Another couple of neighbours and friends had a bit of a scare earlier today, as one was rushed to the local hospital (fortunately only a couple blocks away). We have been told that all should be fine once they get the results of some tests done, and we are also hoping that all will be well for them. They too, are a fantastic couple who we are very lucky to have in our lives and be able to call friends.

I have to work tomorrow, so we'll see what the first day of the new year at work brings. I'm always hopeful that there will be more positive changes happening there. There have been a few of them, but it always seems that with each positive, comes a negative or two. Not how I view a work environment to operate, but I will continue to make sure my voice is heard where I feel I can help create something more positive in the working environment. People can tell I'm a Taurus sometimes. I am stubborn and I don't like to give up easily. Sooner or later they will see it my way (or so I would like to think).

So, it's time to sign off for the night. Will see what tomorrow brings and let you know. G'night all...

No comments:

Post a Comment