Today would have been my friend, Gord's 70th birthday. Sadly, he passed away a little more than a year ago. After working for so many years, he had so little time to enjoy his retirement. I often think about this after having gone through my own health scare. Will I have time to enjoy my life in retirement. It's certainly something I'm looking forward to, so I do hope that my life will not be cut so short. I also heard this morning that an old friend of mine, not much younger than me, has a type of cancer that will likely take his life in not too long. I feel sad when I hear these things. So many lives cut shorter than they should have been, and not enough time to enjoy them.
I've learned to live each day as if it's my last, and try to enjoy every moment, doing what I want to do, when I want to do it. This morning started off with a visit to the gym. I'm working on ensuring my health is being improved so that I will have a long time to enjoy my years of retirement. I have a goal in mind of when I feel I can retire. It has come into question lately, with hearing what our government is doing and changing work rules as well as plans to change retirement rules. My plans may have to be altered slightly, but I'll adapt and see what I have to do to ensure it's not something drastic (a big lottery win would help nicely).
After the gym, I met George for breakfast. He's finally feeling better a little better, which is a good thing. After breakfast, he went for a haircut while I relaxed at home. That's where I spent the rest of the day, relaxing at home. I did turn on my old PC as I thought since I had some time, I would update Windows in preparation for when I do our taxes. I really wish that those companies would design a disk that works on a Mac and not just a Windows PC. They told me I could do it on their online site, but I'm not that keen on doing my taxes on a third party website before submitting them to Revenue Canada. There were only 36 updates on the PC as well as a Java update. I managed to do some browsing on the Mac and have dinner before they were all downloaded. I then decided to defragment what was left on there. Man is it ever slow! Actually, it just finished now, and that was about 3+ hours after I started. Well, at least it should be ready when I start doing our taxes later on.
Our plans to go to a movie this afternoon didn't happen. The timing for it didn't work for the early show, and the later show was not really a great time for us. Perhaps we'll try again tomorrow. My schedule in the morning is a little off, as I'm meeting my friend Rand for coffee when I would usually be at the gym, so I'll have to reschedule that for later, likely after breakfast or lunch. The say tomorrow morning will bring a lot of rain. Will have to wait and see. It's winter here, and rain is the norm. I can deal with that a lot easier than the snow (although it tried to this morning). Crazy.
And now I can see I've been rambling, so I'll stop for the night. Get myself ready for bed and the start of another day tomorrow. Yes, another day in this journey we call life. Good night.
No comments:
Post a Comment