Monday, January 2, 2012

Back To Work

First day of work for 2010 for me. Yes, I know it was a 'bank' holiday for most people, but in my industry, we are open 365 days a year. I don't bid vacation around Christmas as I'd rather leave that time for families who have young children or children still going to grade school. Usually a good tradeoff for me too, as it is far too busy to travel, and even if you do, a lot of the hot spots charge a premium for this time of year. I'll save my time for a quieter period.

One of my co-workers who has turned out to be a great friend as I got to know her dropped in today during her vacation. She wanted to check about changing her sons ticket to return back to school out east. Not really a lot of options for him, so it looks like he's going to attempt the world of standby to get home. We also talked a bit about the passing of her mother during the holidays. It's always sad to hear when someone passes, especially at this time of the year. I know my friend was feeling sad, but I also know that she has the strength to get through it as well. Our thoughts and prayers have been with her during this time of sorrow.

Dinner tonight was out at a local restaurant. Another friend and co-worker had given us a gift card as a thank you for giving her and her son the trip I won to Big White for the first skiing party of the year. I hadn't been looking for anything in return, just wanted someone to use the prize I won rather than see it go to waste since we couldn't go. I was actually surprised with the meal. It was better than I had expected, or experienced the last time we ate there. Service was quick and efficient, and always with a smile.

Now, just relaxing at home before getting ready for bed. It's a gym morning tomorrow, so don't want to stay up too late. Drop in for a bit of cardio before I come home to get ready for work. The rain has started, and we are expecting a few days of it. Not too concerned though. That's winter in Vancouver. Just hope that the winds don't start or get too much, cause that's when I don't appreciate it so much. Other than that, it beats trudging through the snow in a city that has no idea how to get around when it does.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment