Monday, January 23, 2012

Tsunami

Today was the first day of 2 weeks of early morning starts at work. Much preferred to the late morning, but it does mean I have to adjust routines again. Up early, catch some news, check the internet, have a couple cups of coffee and then get ready for work. And for those of you interested, no, I don't rush in the morning. I used to do that back in my younger days, but it just adds unneeded stress to ones life thinking you only have a short window to do this, that, and the other thing before it's time to rush out the door. No, I enjoy my leisure time getting ready for the day.

I leave the house early too. That's also a habit. I enjoy grabbing a tea on the way to work, then a nice walk to the train before going to work. This morning was a little unusual. Not that I was early at the train station, nor that I took the train in the opposite direction so I wouldn't be too early (plus avoid someone on the train). It was unusual because the train said it was going to YVR, but about halfway there, I happened to look up at the reader sign, and it now said it was going only as far as Bridgeport. Hmmm, I did have extra time in case of delays, so I wasn't overly concerned. I like that extra time just for circumstances like these. In case I have to make alternate arrangements. Well, I got to Bridgeport, and the platform was super crowded. We got off the train, and the attendants there said that they were alternating trains due to a switching problem. Trains coming from Vancouver would be returning to Vancouver. Trains from Richmond would be returning to Richmond, and trains from YVR would be returning to YVR. So that meant I had to wait for 4 trains before mine left. No problem. Only added an extra 12 minutes onto my journey. Still got to work with 20 minutes to spare (I told you I was early).

Pretty quiet at work. We did find out more details of when we would be bidding our new shifts and the start date of the shifts. I'm hoping that I can get something earlier than what I currently hold. I still want to keep weekends off to match George and because our holidays are booked to fit weekend days off. I'm sure I could trade if I needed to, but it's a hassle to do sometimes. At least we're doing our bid early this time, and can then plan better if I need to.

Getting home early again was nice. It gave me time to wind down and play with Odessa (our cat) a bit before George came home and we had dinner. The remaining leftover soup was to be tonights meal. We had so many vegetables in it, it was more like a stew, but full of flavour and I loved it. Had two large bowls of it. Delicious.

After dinner tonight, we relaxed in front of the TV and started watching a documentary movie on the aftermath of the December 2004 tsunami in Thailand. Although based on stories from survivors, I found some of it to be a little over the top. I think the acting and some of the shots/scenes could have been done a lot better. But it did give me some more information about the area and the people in the region we plan on visiting later this year. I do look forward to it. I did some more research on hotels and am torn between two locations, both at completely different ends of the spectrum. Decisions will have to come soon though. Can't let it hang forever.

And now it's nearly bedtime, so going to sign off for another night. Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment