Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Dinner With Friends

Well today started like every other day does lately. Get up, make coffee, check my email, have breakfast, take a shower, make lunch, and off to work. No excitement. Well maybe when I think about the fact I only have a month and a bit left of this shift and then I get my morning shift back! Woohoo!

Work was work. What can I say. I could bore you with details about what I did today, but most things would probably bore you, and what I could talk about would probably be a breach of the privacy act so it's best I stay away from that. I don't want to put myself in a position that could jeopardize my job. After all, I've put in nearly 24 years and it would be a shame to do something to mess up my retirement plans.

After work tonight it wasn't take the train downtown, walk home and have dinner tonight. Nope. Tonight we were meeting some of our friends for dinner out in Yaletown. They're actually people George used to work with at one of the branches he's been at over all the year he's been with the bank. We try to get together on a regular basis and try someplace new and catch up while we're at it. There was a bit of drama that I got tweeted about this morning that I was hoping to get a bit more info on. Turns out the branch that two of them are still at, George's old branch, was robbed this morning. The tweet said that they were told there was a gun, but as usual nothing was shown. Fortunately, no one was hurt and like most robberies, they went through the usual steps to deal with the after affects. So nothing much to talk about that I haven't heard before. But like I say, at least no one was hurt.

Tonights dining choice was a place called 'Section 3' on Mainland street. Reservations were set for 19h00 and those that were off work would meet then and wait for Ferdie and me to arrive around 19h30 as we were both working late. When I got there, everyone else had arrived, and they had just received the appetizers so I just had to sit down and start eating. They had chosen 3 appetizers to share among the five of us. Yam fries which were crinkle cut and very good, Panko breaded chicken wings in a cayenne sauce which created a nice heat, and Coca-Cola breaded short ribs which was a huge pile of boneless beef sprinkled with hickory sticks and also very tasty. They made good choices for appetizers and it gave me hope that the main courses on the menu might actually turn out better than what I expected. Wrong.

I had ordered the Wild Sockeye Salmon with a raspberry and ginger-ale glaze, crisp risotto and asparagus cake. Well, the salmon was over cooked and dry. There was no sign of asparagus anywhere, but rather some green beans which I think were old. I can't say much about the crispy risotto other than boring. The raspberry glaze was good though, but probably should have been more to cover up the dry taste of the salmon. One of our group had the lamb shank which he said was gamey tasting. I'm glad I didn't try it. I somehow had the feeling that it would not be as tasty as what I am used to when I go to Priscilla's and I would have been right. Another person had the chorizo and goat cheese spaghetti, which was something I had thought I might order. When she received it, she didn't rave about it, and I can guess by the look of it that the spaghetti was overcooked, there was a sprinkling of crumbled goat cheese and maybe a few slivers of chorizo. Nope, glad I didn't order that either. Grace did seem to like her grilled eggplant marinara and talked about how tasty the eggplant was, but not much else. I had also tried a drink that looked interesting with blueberry and basil combination. Well once getting through a few smashed blueberries that clogged up the straw and what felt like half a glass of basil leaves, it was not impressive. Should have stuck with the water. Overall, I would not recommend this restaurant and judging by the 2 or 3 other tables in there, I don't think they'll be around for a long time except maybe to serve up appys and beer during a hockey game. Definitely nothing special.

So by the time we finished dinner and walked people to their cars or the train then caught the bus home ourselves, it was late and almost time for bed. Expecting to be tired in the morning, but the visit with our friends was nice. So it's late and time for bed. Will be back tomorrow and let you know what my day was like. Not expecting anything unusual though, so it may be a fairly quiet blog, but we'll wait and see. Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment