Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Friends

It's happening. Some of the people I work with who had applied for an early retirement package have now started to leave the office, and it will continue until the end of the week. As much as I look at my movement within the seniority ranks, I cannot forget to look at the fact that I am seeing many of my friends leave for another part of the journey in their lives. I feel happiness for them, knowing that they have now reached that point where they feel they have reached a point in their lives where they can enjoy all that they have worked for at their own pace. There will be new opportunities lying ahead, whether it be a new career, or a new hobby, or a new chance to give back something to help others. I will also feel a loss. Not in the friendships I have forged over the years, but in not knowing that I can just walk through the office, or down they hallways, and I am going to run into someone I have gone on this journey with for so long. No, that's not going to happen as often now. I will still be able to be in contact with them, but it is not the same. I also feel envious. Yes, I so look forward to that day I can join their ranks and move onto something new. What that will be for me, I'm not 100% certain, but I do have ideas, and look forward to trying to achieve some of those goals when the opportunity arises.

Three of my really good friends will have had their last day today or tomorrow. Wes, who I've known since his transfer out here from Toronto, and worked with in IT. A great friend and a very wise and smart man. Iris, who I met when we started in IT, and not quite sure about her at first, I started to realize more and more that she was someone who was strong and wise in her opinions and knowledge and not afraid to speak what was on her mind. When she didn't know something or needed more information, she didn't sit back and wait for the answer, rather she sought it out, and knew where to go to get that information. A very honest person. Pam, who I worked with since moving out here, but never got to know until I returned back to the office from IT. She was always someone I was afraid of before, who many thought she felt herself above others. Well, I learned much about her in time, and realized she was just like all of us. She is well spoken, and is not afraid to speak her mind. She also is very intelligent, like the others I have spoken of, and anyone challenging her should be prepared to defend themselves with an honest knowledge of what they are talking about lest they lose a battle they can never win. Yes, I'm going to miss these three people the most.

Moving on, tomorrow night we are going out for dinner after work. It is 'Dining Out For Life' across the lower mainland and Whistler. It is an event across Canada and the US used as an annual dining fundraising event, raising money for AIDS service organizations. The benefactors are 'A Loving Spoonful' and 'Friends For Life'. The participating restaurants will contribute 25% of their sales that day to people living with HIV/AIDS. I'm glad to be participating in this worthy event as there are so many people out there who need more than we do, and it makes me happy to be able to contribute to them in this way.

Now, it's time for bed. Gym day tomorrow, so have to be up early. Then it's off to work to catch Pam and Iris before they have a chance to leave the office. I have to say goodbye to them before they leave. Until tomorrow, have a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment