Sunday, March 4, 2012

Fit and Healthy

This morning, upon someone else's advice, I decided to try the other type of elliptical machine at the Y, as he said it worked well if I wanted to try some interval training. Since I want to try to get rid of the 'belly fat' that I've become accustomed to, I decided to give it a try, but only after I checked to see if my regular machines could do interval training. So the first stop was on the 2nd floor to try my regular machines. Yes, they do have an interval training option, so I tried it with the settings it requested. It seemed like it was going to work, but after a few minutes in, it couldn't track my heartbeat, so went onto a manual program. As well it really didn't help me reach the peaks I needed and hold me there, nor did it help bring my heart rate down to the lower levels either. So after 15 minutes, I finally gave up and moved to try the other machine up one floor.

Well I think this will be my new training friend. Not only was it easy to program, but its almost like it wants to help you with the necessary movements and speeds to get your heart rate to the ideal level at the right times. I did have a few questions about functionality and what I should exactly expect to see at different times though. I was going to ask one of the fitness trainers when I was done my session, but before I finished, the person who told me about these machines came by and gave me a brief rundown and had answers to the questions I needed answered. I also found that with the interval training, I feel like I've not only sweated more, but have worked harder and ultimately feel better for it. I decided to cancel weight training today and just focused on the cardio. I next did a short ride on the recumbent bike, more of a cool down, but enough to work off a few more calories.

I still can't believe how much I enjoy going to the gym and doing something to keep my body healthy. In the past, I would never even consider it as an option, as I always thought it to be boarding and no fun. Now, with a few good tunes on the iPod and a plan (or somewhat of a plan), it has become something I look forward to, even on those days when it's tough to get out of bed. I even had thoughts today of perhaps getting back into swimming some laps, but I think I'll wait a little longer before I decide to go there. I think it's better if I focus on one type of sport at a time and not overwhelm myself.

We decided after breakfast today that we would make a vegetarian pasta dish for dinner tonight, so we stopped at the market for some fresh vegetables. I always get surprised at what we can actually get and make for such a little cost. Even on those days when some produce is a little higher than normal, it's still a fantastic savings considering how much food we end up with. But before we made dinner, we decided to send our friend, Jeff a message to see if he wanted to go out for a Sunday afternoon cocktail. He said he would love to, so we decided on a meeting time at the Fountainhead. Although he was a little late, it was nice to relax and have a couple drinks and a bite to eat. He brought 2 of his friends with him so it was a nice little group. After drinks, George and I were back home to start making our dinner for later.

This is where I get to play sous chef and do all the chopping and cutting up of stuff. I much prefer that to the actual cooking, where as George likes the cooking over the chopping, so we make a great team that way. A little over an hour later, and dinner was ready. A delicious vegetarian pasta dinner with lots of left overs for the rest of the week and a lunch or two. He also made me a delicious raisin banana bread. One of my little indulgences I enjoy taking to work for a snack in the afternoon. I know it won't last long, especially if my friend Catherine finds out I have some. It seems to be a hit with everyone that has tasted it.

We just watched a documentary on the earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan March 11, 2011. It contained more footage that we had not seen in all the previous shows about it. It was both eye opening and frightening at the same time. Even with all the images we have seen and interviews, I still can't imagine being in their shoes. Living in Vancouver, we are also in that 'fiery ring around the Pacific', so we should be enlightened more about how to prepare and what to do if something like that happens to us. I think we're a little to apathetic and need to get more prepared for something that I hope never to experience in my lifetime.

And now after that grim note, it's time for a piece of banana bread then off to get ready for bed. Hope you all had a great day and will talk to you again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment