Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Shift Bid

Today is shift bid day. At 07h50 it will be time for me to pick my shift from the remaining lines, which I will be working until we have another bid. Although I have nearly 24 years with the company, I am number 34 in the list of full time people in my department of 55 people. At that point, I could end up with just about anything. A good day time shift with weekends off, or a late shift with midweek days off. Well, according to the 'virtual bid' we worked out on Friday, if those above me in seniority bid what they said they wanted (and was built for them), I should just squeak by with a day shift (and my preferred shift) with weekends off. Fingers crossed.

Since my bid time was 3 hour before I actually started my shift, and I wanted to be there to bid just in case something went awry, I decided I would go for breakfast in Richmond before work. Surprisingly, when I checked my email this morning, one of my friends who would be bidding 20 minutes after me, had sent me a message asking me what I was doing this morning. We decided we would meet in the office and go to breakfast together and catch up a bit. Well the bidding times got delayed due to a mixup with the bid sheets, but with running about 20 minutes late, I saw that everyone was doing as expected, and sure enough, when it was my time to bid...kaching! I got my shift! That makes not only me happy, but George as well, as now we can once again have dinner together at a reasonable hour. Woohoo!

So my friend, Wendy and I went for breakfast. I got to see her new vehicle and get a ride in it as well. Boy, you can tell how long it's been since I owned a car. Doors that lock when the key is nearby. Built in GPS and Satellite radio. Music players that work with iPods or USB drives or CD's. Valet keys (never heard of that one till today). Rearview cameras. Individual temperature control, and so many other electronic item that I couldn't keep up. Well I must say it was a very nice vehicle. It was a KIA brand, and ran quietly and was very comfortable to ride in.

Breakfast was nice as well. Relaxing to sit and talk at the White Spot restaurant knowing that I got the shift I wanted. Anyway, Wendy gave me a ride back to work, where I spent the rest of my day before heading home for dinner. Didn't really have anything else of excitement happening today, but I can't tell you how happy I was to get the shift I wanted in my preferred work area. I can get this shift if I choose a job on the phones without a problem, but to get it in the support area is very difficult unless you have a lot of seniority. Twenty four years doesn't get you very far in that area. But I am relieved and can relax now, knowing that come mid-April, I will be on a preferred shift.

So on that note, I bid you good night. Up later than I should be again, but what can I say. I'm committed to writing something everyday, and that is what I plan to continue doing. Good night all! Talk to you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment