Sunday, April 22, 2012

Birthdays and Fans

Well, I'm 49 years of age. Nope, it's not a big deal. It really is just another day. What did I do today? Nothing unusual. I went to the gym, breakfast with our friends Len & Jody (who just bought a house in the Strathcona area), did our regular Costco trip, and another suntan to prep for the vacation. Other than that, nothing else of any significance.

I got lots of messages on Facebook from people. It started a little slow, as I don't have my birthday appearing on there. It's one of those personal things I don't think need to be posted in the realm of Mark Zuckerberg. He knows too much already. So the greetings only trickled in at first, but then as people started reading, I think they realized that it was my birthday today. That's how I like it. That way, it's not turned into something big, which I really don't want. I much prefer the low profile approach.

I also received a call from an old friend (no, it's not because she's turning 50 in a little over a month), it's someone I haven't connected with for a couple of years. We would always call on each others birthdays, but the last few years it's only been to leave messages, as we always seem to be away for our respective days. Last year I was in Paris, and the year before that, if I recall, I was in London. This year I stayed home, and so will my friend on her birthday. The unfortunate thing for that one is that this time I will be away on her birthday, so I guess I'll have to call her when I get back.

We stayed home tonight and cooked dinner at home. We go out enough at other times, that it really wasn't necessary to go out for a special meal tonight. Maybe next year though. We watched the end of the hockey game tonight as well. Not something we normally do, and I know some people who won't like this, but we really wanted to see the Canucks lose. Some people wonder why I am not a Vancouver fan, after all I live here. Well, the truth is I am an Oiler fan first. That is followed by the Bruins (last years winners over Vancouver), and then the Canadiens. I don't watch throughout the season, but I do keep tabs on who is winning and who isn't. Oh, and the main reason I did not want the Canucks to win is not because of the riots last year, but because I really don't like the 'bandwagon jumpers' who couldn't care less what takes place during the regular season, but come playoff time, they act like they are the biggest fans ever. And when there's a goal scored, you hear it endlessly. They also find excuses for why 'their team' didn't perform well, and the other team was at fault. It works that way though, no matter who someone roots for I guess. But a true fan won't find excuses. Oh, and in case you're wondering or did not watch, I was given the birthday present I wanted. The Canucks were knocked out of the playoffs in the first round. So that means peaceful sleeps this spring.

Speaking of sleeps, it's that time. Got to go to bed as the morning comes early. Hope you all had a great day, I know I had a great relaxing one. We'll chat again tomorrow, of course how much depends on what happens. Until then, good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment