Monday, May 21, 2012

Soup

Rainy days and Mondays always get me down...unless it's a Monday of a long weekend, and I don't have to work! It started off not bad when I went to the gym, but by the time I left, it was pouring. I was glad George had brought an umbrella to the gym when I didn't.

After the gym and breakfast today, it was a stop at the market for some fresh vegetables so we could make some homemade soup for our friend, Matthews birthday. It was actually last week on Mothers day, but he was visiting his sister on the island so couldn't make it then.

I started mid afternoon preparing the dessert, some fresh strawberries we bought yesterday needed cleaning and to be cut into bite size pieces. After that, it's my job to cut all the vegetables, as George prefers not to be in charge of the knife. It works out well, as I don't really mind, and it lets him do the actual stovetop work, which is what I really don't want to do (except the taste testing). Yes, it's a truly great combination.

Matthew showed up on schedule at 17h30 and I had all the veggies cut and was just doing dishes, while George was getting the vegetables sautéed before turning it all into soup. This allowed us to start on a nice bottle of wine we had picked up last fall when we were in London. Once the soup go set for simmering, George and Matthew took to the balcony to do some gardening while I stayed inside checking on the soup and stirring it occasionally.

Finally after all the planting was done, and dinner was ready, we sat down to a delicious meal, so good, I had 2 1/2 bowls. Of course vegetable soup with loads of fresh veggies is nothing but pure goodess for you. Dessert followed shortly after, a bowl of sliced strawberries and whipped cream. Delish!

When the evening was over, and all of us were thoroughly stuffed, we saw Matthew off and sent him with a couple of deck chairs we had been holding onto for a few years, but were no longer using. They were just too big for the balconies now that we have a lot of plants on both. In return, we got a couple more plants to put outside, including some clipping of a fuchsia, which I love.

Now, it's time to head to bed, as another week begins in the morning, or at least the rest of it since it's only a 4 day work week this time. I wish every week was a 4 day work week of only 8 hour days. Sigh. So, good night and see you back here tomorrow. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment