Tuesday, May 8, 2012

NOH8

Today could have been another one of those same old, same old days. I mean there was nothing unusual that happened at work today. Weather was warm. Yeah, that would have been about it, except for the fortune that the NOH8 Campaign was in town and were having a photo shoot at the Renaissance Harbourside hotel.

What is the NOH8 Campaign you ask? When the people of the state of California voted to pass Proposition 8, a bill that banned same-sex marriage (I just call it marriage because I never heard of opposite-sex marriage before), celebrity photographer Adam Bouska and his partner Jeff Parshley created a silent photographic protest with the NOH8 Campaign. And as their Mission Statement reads, the are a charitable organization whose mission is to promote marriage, gender and human equality through education, advocacy, social media and visual protest.

So off to get our photos taken by Adam Bouska to show our support for their cause. Arriving at the hotel ballroom we signed our release forms, and waited for them to open the doors to let the photography begin. What we didn't know was what really was beyond those doors. When they opened, we walked into a room where people were not only waiting to add the temporary tattoos to our cheeks, but the hotel had set up an incredible array of snacks for all the guests. Chilli, poutine, a roasted beef that the chef would carve for you own personalized roast beef sandwich, a huge range of appetizers that were delectable, cheeses, grapes and drinks. There was also a pay bar for anyone who wanted to have a drink while they waited for their turn to be photographed or to leisurely enjoy the evening after the main reason for attending was done.

When our turn arrived (we were #57 & #58), we went into the room next door, and there was the line leading to none other than Adam Bouska who was taking numerous photos while directing his subjects to what he thought would be the best pose to represent the cause. Never once did I see anything other than a warm smile on his face. When we got to the front of the line, we had duct tape placed over our mouths and then went in front of the screen for our shots.

Adam asked us right away if we were partners, and when we answered yes, he knew right away what he wanted to start with. He took shots of us in 3 or 4 different poses and then gave us a quick look at them. All done in just a minute or two. We had to give him a hug and a thank you before we left to enjoy a bit more of the food before heading home.

Where are the pictures you ask? The will be looked over once everything is done, and the best shot from each of the persons or groups will be cleaned up, and then made available to us for our own use as well as the use of the NOH8 Campaign. So to see the finished product, you will have to wait just like us. But in the meantime, here's a shot I took of myself at home, without the tape.

So there you are. A bit of something different in our day today. A truly inspiring diversion. I can only recommend to any of you that if you ever get the opportunity to be a little part in this campaign to help eliminate unnecessary hatred, do it. You will feel so much better for it knowing that we are all equal.

And now it's late. It's going to be a short night, but I had to get this out there. I want to make sure that I get something out every night, and this is one I had a little more to talk about. Hopefully there will be more like this, and with time, I will get better at writing things up here.

So have a great night, and see you back here tomorrow.





charitable organization whose mission is to promote marriage, gender and human equality through education, advocacy, social media, and visual protest

No comments:

Post a Comment