Thursday, May 10, 2012

Dinner With Friends

We got a late text yesterday, asking us if we wanted to go out for dinner with our friends Vivian and Grace tonight. It was a last minute decision on their part, and they thought we would like to join them. The plan was to go out somewhere in Yaletown, near where Vivian works, as she was working the latest of us all. None of us really knew where would be a good new place to go to, so we ended up at the Hamilton Street Grill, a place we had been to a few times before and have always enjoyed.

We started off sharing a couple of appetizers, an order of mussels and an order of garlic prawns. We had also been given some bread with an herbed lightly spicy butter, all of which were delicious. Just the right amount for all of us to start us off.

Dinner was next. George chose the stuffed chicken (Herb-crusted, rolled breast stuffed with Goat cheese, dried apricots and pecans, Red wine reduction and chicken jus). He's had that before and it has always been delicious. Vivian chose the lamb shank (in honey, fig, and red wine sauce), a personal favourite of hers. Grace, after a bit of wavering, ended up with a tenderloin steak with a red wine demi-glace. She likes her steaks, as it is what she leans towards most of the time. I chose the special, a halibut steak with with mashed potatoes, fresh asparagus, and a bernaise sauce. Although I enjoyed it, I still prefer the salmon there, but it was nice to try something new.

We couldn't leave without dessert. No way. When we first tried the Hamilton Street Grill during Dine Out a couple years ago, we were treated to the most fabulous gingerbread pudding with ice cream. I would say that that alone is worth the visit. The girls shared an order while I had my own. George went for the banana cream pie, which also turned out to be delicious.

Would I recommend it to go to? Definitely, or I wouldn't keep going back. We were fortunate enough to have an entertainment coupon which gave us one of the meals free, so it brought our bill down to an average of about $38.00 each before tip. Very reasonable for a great dinner and two hour visit with great friends.

Hometime next, and because it was later than usual on a work night, you may have noticed that this wasn't updated until today. Sorry for the delay, but needed to get to bed. Had to be awake for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment