Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memory

How can you tell you're getting older? Well, the memory lapses is probably a good sign. I had one of those today. All started normal this morning, getting up, turn on the coffee, catch up on email and news, drink coffee, have breakfast, shower, make lunch, and off to work. Yep, everything was going fine and on schedule. Just after I sat back down after my first coffee break, I though I might write myself a note to remind me that this Thursday will be 'Butter Chicken & Samosas' day at work, so don't make lunch or plan anything for dinner that night.

Then it happened. Someone said it was butter chicken day. I said no, it's Thursday. They said it's on the 29th and I looked at the calendar and yes, it is today. Of course I made my lunch and I didn't bring a container with me to carry back all the samosas I ordered. Plus we took pork out of the freezer last night to thaw in the fridge overnight. I knew I should have put something in my calendar to remind me. Needless to say, it all worked out. I had the butter chicken for lunch (delicious by the way), there was tin foil to cover the samosas on a plate to take home, the pork will be fine as long as we cook it by Thursday (we are going out with a co-worker of George's tomorrow) and I ended up eating the sandwich on my last coffee break (I was stuffed and couldn't quite finish it).

Yes it seems that the memory does play tricks on you as time progresses on this journey through life. Usually things do work out, but I am finding more and more that I have to rely on the calendar to keep my schedule in order. And it's not that I do a lot, as you may have gathered from this blog, but there are lots of things to update, including when bills are due, or water is delivered (it changes by a day after every long weekend or holiday), cat sitting, shift trades, movies or tv programs, birthdays, and so on. It's also funny that with all this stuff I seem to forget unless it's marked down, I still remember some of the most trivial, but important stuff at work. I've always had ability to remember a lot of trivial information. Don't know why, but I guess I find that kind of stuff interesting. If I could only apply that to every day life.

One of my co-workers came back from her trip to Asia. She had gone down to Phuket for a few days and gave me a bit of info for our visit. One of the biggest things she said is that the thunderstorm symbols on the weather channels mean nothing. She said they are there every day, yet only only rained for part of one morning and a quick sprinkle another day, otherwise it was beautiful. She did say Bangkok was really hot when they were there, so that wasn't too pleasant. But she did say I will really like it there as it was a great place to relax. I'm getting more and more excited each day.

Tomorrow marks the middle of the week. That means after lunch, it's all downhill from there and that much closer to the weekend. Checking my calendar it looks pretty empty for now. Costco will fit in there, but that's only around an hour out of the day. I think perhaps I may have to purge a little more out of the apartment. Not sure what I'll look for yet, but there is still a lot that can go. I'm sure that I'll find something to do though.

Now, it's nearly time for bed, so as you know, I will sign off for the night. Until tomorrow, hope you have a great evening and then will see you back here same time then.

No comments:

Post a Comment