Friday, February 24, 2012

Home Show

Yep, late again and not going to get this done tonight. Will have to write in the morning after the gym and breakfast. I did this mornings while I was waiting for some blood tests to be done. I love that I can tether to my iPhone, thus creating my own wifi network. Of course it eats up my data, but I have a lot, so not too concerned...at this point.

We went out for breakfast after I got home. On the way home it had started to snow. Just a trickle at first, but within the two block walk home, we ran into a full fetched blizzard by the time we got into our driveway. The snow kept going for a couple hours, and at times was really heavy and blowing. Just think, the other day we were taking pictures of flowers coming out, cherry trees in bloom, and even a couple of rosebuds appearing across the street. At least it turned to a cold rain after and didn't stick on the ground in the downtown core.

George had got some tickets to the BC Home & Garden Show, so today was the day we decided to go see what was there. It was too cold and rainy to walk there, so we caught a bus downtown and took the train  to within a couple blocks of BC Place (where it was being held). After getting through the displays in the concourse, we finally found our way to the field level where most of the displays were set up, covering the entire field. We worked out a grid pattern to ensure we got to see everything. Our pattern turned out to be opposite of one of our neighbours, and we kept running into him in most every aisle as we headed off in opposite directions. As it turned out, there really was nothing there of interest to either of us. I mean, unless you own your own place and are planning to do some renovations or new construction, the exhibitors there would not be of any interest.

We decided to have a quick snack as I was getting hungry and we had a couple more things we wanted to see before we left. Well that was an experience. Chicken fingers and fries $10.50. Fries alone $5.00. Pop $4.50. What the hell? Wait, this is the regular stadium pricing, they do need to pay for refit and all the sports players/managers who are not paid a small wage. And the service? Oh, I can't imagine how they manage when they are dealing with a full stadium of people. They really need to learn how to work together and a lot faster, especially if they don't want a bunch of angry customers on their cases.

We ended up sitting in the stands while we ate, watching the big screen TV now anchored at centre field. Massive and in HD. Loved it. Just as we were thinking about heading back down to the field for the last couple of stops, someone walked up to me and said hello. To my surprise, it was a lady I used to work with in the call centre until she went to the airport and ended up retiring there. I hadn't seen Sharon since a bit before she left and it was such a pleasure to see her and catch up a little on what she has been doing. She was at the Home Show looking for ideas for the new condo now that her and her husband have downsized. We chatted a bit about what she's been doing and then we both had to move on as we were both running short on time. But yes, it is always a pleasure to run into her and others I have worked with who have had the fortune of retiring. I do look forward to my turn when it happens.

The evening was spent at home watching some TV and just generally doing nothing. Nice. I love it when I get to relax without nary a care in the world. But I also have to enjoy it while I can cause next week it's back to the office and the grind there. So hope you had a great night (I wrote this a day late). You've probably already read todays update before this one, so hope you checked back and caught up with what happened today (yesterday). Anyway, gotta run, the movie awaits.


No comments:

Post a Comment