A quiet day today. Got up early to catch up on some news and have a coffee (or three), then off to the Y. I can't continue saying how much I have come to enjoy getting out to a public facility to exercise. If you had asked me a few years ago, or anytime before, I would have laughed at the very idea. But ever since I joined the facility, I have looked forward to each and every visit there. Whether it be to challenge myself at reaching a new level on my weight routine, or seeing how long I can keep going on the elliptical or how high a level I can work myself up to. All ending with a relaxing steam or jacuzzi before heading for breakfast.
As it was the weekend, we did our usual stop at Joe's Grill on Davie. Victor was cooking again. He's been behind the grill a lot lately. Ever since his regular cook had a heart attack. Between the extra duties and opening his new location on the east side, it must keep him awfully busy. Of course with the great staff he has, it certainly helps keep things moving smoothly on the busy morning rushes.
We had thought of catching a movie this afternoon, but with a Costco run and some general cleaning we had to do, we never made it. We have some holidays coming up in a couple of weeks, and I think that will be a better time to get out to a movie, especially during the weekday afternoons when most people are at work. I enjoy a quieter setting when I go to a movie. Don't like the crowds much.
Of course today was SuperBowl Sunday. Something it seems everyone waits for with much anticipation. Some to see the two teams take each other on and hope for a classic, close, exciting game (I think they got it). Some to see what sort of new commercials the sponsors would come up with and who would be the best (I'm undecided). And others to see the spectacular half time show (this year it was Madonna's turn).
Did I watch the game? No, but I have it on PVR just in case someone asks. Did I see the commercials? Most were on YouTube before the game even aired, and those that weren't, I caught later on Yahoo. Did I catch the spectacular half-time show? Yes and no. I did catch the performance. Was it spectacular? I can't say that it was. I was really looking forward to seeing what Madonna would do to 'wow' the audience. What would she sing? Would her new album be in the forefront? Well I did enjoy the staging of the performance, I can't say I was overly impressed by her choices of what she sang. Vogue, Music, Express Yourself, Like a Prayer, all songs that were definitely hits for her, but a long time ago. I felt that given she has released her first single from her upcoming album (to be released next month), she should have concentrated the large part of her performance promoting that music. But all we got was a short piece from her new song with Nikki Minaj doing a large part of it. Again, don't get me wrong. The staging and special effects were fabulous, and for a 53 year old woman, she can still move (but then so can Tina Turner and she's in her 70's). And with an upcoming tour for her new album, I am certain she will sell out all her shows, and if she comes back to Vancouver, I will likely buy tickets again. She is something that does have to be experienced, but I still say for an opportunity like the half-time show of the Super Bowl to be dropped into her lap, to not take better advantage of it, is not something most entertainers would even consider.
Now that I've riled up a few souls, or possibly made them think again about what could have been done better, I'm going to say goodnight. Start my later days in the morning and I still need to catch up on some sleep I missed this weekend. I didn't get to nap like some in our household did this weekend. So until tomorrow, g'night!
No comments:
Post a Comment