Sunday, February 26, 2012

Movies and Friends

Last day of vacation. Doesn't seem like it should be over, but it is. What did I get done. Well, not as much as I wanted to, but getting rid of the electronics yesterday was a relief. I'm so glad that we can now have these types of things recycled rather than just throwing out for the trash man or some scavenger to pick out of the garbage and either try to sell to someone under the auspices that it is in great condition, or to some hoarder collecting things for the sake of collecting and creating a hazard for not only themselves, but others who may be living in the same building.

This morning started off as a regular weekend morning, a stint at the gym, and breakfast at Joe's. We sat outside this morning. Usually the heaters on the patio are ample to keep one warm out there, especially when sitting directly underneath them. Not today. No sirree! There was a slight breeze that somehow seemed to get into the patio area when normally it is fine out there even when it is windy. And where did that wind blow? Right up my back. Thank goodness I had an extra hoodie in my gym bag to put on.

Being a Sunday, it was also Costco day. We decided to do things slightly different this time though. Friends of ours had asked us if we wanted to see the movie 'Gone' at Tinseltown. There was an added incentive as well, since our friends told us that they would be giving out 5x the Scene points for going before March 2nd. That meant another free movie. So since we really weren't aware of the movie, or what it was about, we decided we would go with them before stopping at Costco, which was just around the corner from the theatre anyway.

The movie was about a girl, who when her sister disappears, is convinced the serial killer who kidnapped her two years previous had returned, and she sets out again to face her abductor. The premise was good. The acting was not so great. Overall though, it wasn't the worst movie I've seen. If it wasn't for the points, I think I might have waited until it was on the movie channel before I watched it. Plus, it was nice to get out again, this time with friends, to see another movie while we had the time.

Costco was next. We had brought our bags and backpack to carry stuff home on the train and bus as we normally do. It was a quick zip through the store, dodging shopping carts and people who really had no sense of what they were looking for or how to line up at the 'sample' stations. I really hope these people don't drive as badly on the roads as they do their carts in the store. We ended up picking the longest line at the checkout. It looked like someone was getting subtotals as their items were being rung through. I don't think they should be shopping there if they're not prepared to pay the price (and it's a good deal to shop there over a regular grocery store). And the lady in front of us in line, waited and waited to get to the register. When she finally reached her turn, do you think she had her card ready? I have never seen so much junk come out of a purse. I don't think she even had an actual wallet! The checkout clerk got frustrated right away and told her she would take the next people in line (us). She quickly ran our items through the till with her mobile scanner and we paid and were on our way just as she found her card. What was she doing in the line? Couldn't she have been preparing for what any regular shopper should know automatically? Well at least we caught the train an our connecting bus without any wait.

I received a call tonight from someone I used to work with and called a friend. I didn't answer it. We had a falling out a little over a year ago when she told me that she was upset that when I was in the hospital, my partner wrote about not only my experience but also his. She felt that his experience was unimportant and he should only be speaking about mine. I disagreed strongly with her and told her so. She insisted she was right and kept saying it should have been about me because she only wanted to know about me. I told her that the journey I was going through at the time was not just about me, but also my partners part in the journey. It had a great importance to my journey and I was glad he included it in his writings. He read them to me each time he wrote them and before he sent them. I can only say they reached a part of my heart no one has before. I realized at that time how much his journey and his part in my journey was such a contribution to my healing and getting through the experiences I did. I appreciated his part in it more than anything and would never want to have it thrown aside. So no, until I get an apology from her (which she refused before), I really don't think there would be any reason to talk to her, a person I once called one of my best friends. There wasn't even a message left, so I guess she'll need some more time to think about what was said.

It was Oscar night on TV tonight, so while having dinner, we started watching the show. It was nice to see Billy Crystal back hosting. I think he is one of the best hosts they've had and hope they will bring him back again. Nine times is not too many. One of the highlights was seeing 82 year old Christopher Plummer win his first Oscar, the oldest person to have done so and also a Canadian. I was also glad to see Jean Dujardin win best Actor over George Clooney. I never saw the movie 'The Artist', but I somehow think his performance would have been so much more challenging to do, going back to the times of silent movies. Bravo, Jean.

And that's about it for today. Nothing exciting, just a regular day in the life, but I'll be back tomorrow to fill you in on my first day back to work after the week off. Good night until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment