We had decided today that we would go see a movie. Had to start using up those coupons we have and get into see something that is 'big screen' worthy. We decided it would be Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. These movies have usually been big screen worthy. Before we headed over, I had said to George that we needed to go to a local coffee shop that I walk by every day on the way to work, and have always been interested in their lunch special. George too, has been interested in this place, but mostly because they served bannock, a food he used to eat many years ago. So we left early to get there before heading to the movie.
Darryl's Coffe & Native Art shop is a small business that's been around for about 7 years on Davie Street, just off Burrard. It's next door to one of the local tapa restaurants, almost a culture clash, but since they tend to have different hours, not so much. The luncheon special today was chill and bannock, both homemade by owner and his partner. Walking in, Darryl came down from his window seat and greeted us on his way to the counter to take our order. I mentioned to him that I see his lunch specials every day on my way to work, and I wanted to give it a try now that I had some time off. We both ordered the special and were told that the chill had a bit of a bite to it so if we wanted to calm it down, we could add a bit of sugar to it (this I never would have thought of). We said that it would probably be OK, as we both like spicy food in general.
We sat down to a nice bowl of hot chili and a big piece of bannock.
The chill, as it turned out, was a meat chili, something which I was fine with, but George was not used to eating. Regardless, he was going to give it a try. Well I must say it was delicious! And that bite Darryl mentioned was definitely there and made it even more enjoyable. The bannock, baked rather than fried, was a perfect complement to the chili as it was nice to dip in and savour the sweet of the bannock and the spicy of the chill. While we were eating, Darryl started up a conversation with us, sharing both some of his personal life as well as learning a bit about us. As it turned out, both he and George were from the same city, Prince Rupert, and knew some of the same people. George also found out that Darryl had a similar background, as he was part Tsimshian as well. It was very interesting listening to the two of them talk about backgrounds and things they both knew, but it was time to get moving if we were to get to the movie on time. I said to George as we were leaving, that we should definitely go back again sometime, and he agreed.
So it was off to the movie. I hadn't been to Tinseltown for ages. Last I remember it was an almost dead mall in a neighbourhood of condos and a couple stores. Well, the neighbourhood has definitely changed, as there are a lot more businesses around at ground level. The malls lower level had a number of new stores that were open, but the second level was pretty quiet, except for the food fair. I wonder how they can keep this place open sometimes. I mean, there are a lot of empty stores in there, but since it is a very large neighbourhood of condos now, I would have expected more there than what I saw. It must cost a lot for the property manager to have that much empty space in the complex.
But it was up to the third floor that we were ultimately headed. To see our movie at what was the first theatre in Vancouver to have stadium seating, and with seats that leaned back! Going into our cinema, I found it awkward trying to open the door with popcorn in one hand and a drink in the other. It would have been nice for them to have at least one door propped open until at least the movie started. We picked out our seats and settled in to wait for the show. I noticed that the seats were a little worn, and after all the years there, it is probably time to replace them, but it is still a pleasure to have the ability to lean back and have lots of legroom when watching the show. I did enjoy the movie and would probably recommend it to others, though it will likely be on video and/or the movie channels soon.
After the movie, we headed back to the west end, needing to make a couple pit stops along the way. First stop was the vet, to see about arranging a dental cleaning for our cat. The lady at the desk lives in our building and told us right away that they were going to have cat dental month in July, and that would be the better time to come in, as they will be offering some type of discount during the month. She would let us know when they had more details so we could book an appointment to get this done.
Our next stop was the local market to pick up some vegetables so we could make soup for dinner tonight. I end up doing the prepping, while George does the cooking when we make it.
As you can see from the photo, it turned out delicious and full of vegetables. Just the way I like it. It's such a comfort food, and nice to have in the evening when it's cool and blustery outside, and the wind has been going all evening.
I forgot to mention that we also had a sudden hailstorm today as well. When we were walking back from the movie, I looked toward the west, and seeing the clouds said, there's a storm in there. Sure enough, while we were in the vet's office a torrential downpour of hail and rain happened for no more than 5 minutes, and then stopped as suddenly as it started. Behind it, a clear, blue, sunny sky. They said we could anticipate the odd shower and wind today, but that was too weird. Now, at least, we know we have the wind> I just hope it calms down soon, as its annoying when blowing while trying to sleep.
Speaking of which, it's about that time now. I am determined to get up when the radio goes off in the morning, so that means I'll try to get to sleep a little sooner. Going to meet up with an old friend tomorrow so want to be refreshed for that. So until tomorrow, have a great nights' sleep.

No comments:
Post a Comment