Thursday, August 16, 2012

Four Years and Counting

As many of you have noticed, I've been absent from here for the past month and a bit. Not because I haven't been doing anything, but mostly it's just day to day stuff which I really don't think anyone wants to be bored with.

Yes we had 3 very busy nights of fireworks down on English Bay. The first night done by Vietnam, the second by Brazil, and the third by Italy (who ended up winning the competition). We also had Gay Pride on the long weekend in August, an event that has really turned into a combination of politics and advertising. The Pride Society seems to no longer focus on the purpose of Pride celebrations, but rather on how to make more money to pay for the events. If getting them to disclose their earnings and then deciding from that, how much to charge them for entrance into the parade is how they operate, I can understand why so many of the businesses that truly support the local gay population every day do not attend. I will say that I did not attend the Pride Parade this year nor did I head down to the beach for any of the celebrations. I just think it has gotten too big and I really don't want to be crowded among the masses that do attend.

Moving on, I have officially passed the 4 year mark since my beating cancer. It actually was reached in June, but my 4 year visit with my oncologist just happened so I use that as my mark. They count from the time you were diagnosed rather than from the time you were clear of it. I asked today if perhaps all the sweating I seem to encounter is from the intensive chemo I had. She told me she wasn't aware that this was a side affect from the drugs, but another patient she had asked the same thing. Seems we are two individuals who, since undergoing similar treatments, have been dealing with sweating with even a little heat. It's crazy at times. I go for a walk and even when I avoid the sunshine, I start sweating. Way more than I normally did before. We're going to have my thyroid levels checked out to see if this is possibly something that may be causing it. All I know is it would be nice to not have to deal with it any longer, and if we can find out what's causing it, stop it!

I'm now sitting on the balcony enjoying the cool of the evening as the sun sets. It's great to be able to enjoy the cool out here rather than the heat inside (even with 4 fans going). We wait for the breeze to begin so that there will be air flowing from the master bedroom through to the dining room. At this point, we're still waiting, but I am getting some out here. The flowers are still blooming, although some are coming to an end. George has been taking good care of them and making sure they're watered well. He's been collecting seeds as he usually does, for plantings next year and to give to our friends for their gardens. It's great that he can start them this way and grow them to maturity.






You can see what I'm surround by in the pictures above. A nice place to enjoy the sunset. We did have Odessa out here for a little while on her leash but she eventually wanted to either eat the plants or get too close to the balcony edge. Rather than tempt fate, we let her go back inside and off the leash.

So now I'll end the writing. I will return for another bout of writing sometime down the road when I feel I have something important I want to talk about. Until then though, take care of yourselves and your health. We don't get many opportunities to enjoy our lives out here, so we have to make the most of life's journey as we never know when that opportunity will be there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment